Why Not Hire Me for Free?

Cutline 1.02, the best WordPress theme ever produced!

Investing in great Web design is one of those things that is hard for many people to reconcile mentally. For starters, it’s really difficult to know if the person you intend to hire is legitimate or not, and if you don’t know how to differentiate the studs from the also-rans, then you’re basically investing in a crapshoot. To make matters worse, this crapshoot can get expensive!

And then, of course, you have the issue of agility. Two weeks after you get your new design up and running, you decide to add a few features. Will the current architecture handle it? Is your design scalable and flexible enough to accommodate this, or will it fold up like a lawn chair, leaving you with unstyled, 10pt text and a horizontal scrollbar?

Hire me. Actually, don’t. Well, kinda, maybe…

I mean it. A wheelbarrow full of cash.As a response to this Web design conundrum, you could theoretically hire me for a wheelbarrow of cash, and I’d work my butt off to fix you up with a killer site that has my stamp of approval.

Or, if that doesn’t cut it for ya, why don’t you just hire me for free? And then, instead of simply providing a one-off product for you and collecting a check, I’ll be free to continually update your site’s architecture by squashing bugs, adding features, and answering your questions as you work with your new site.

Wait. What?

Seriously. Hire me for free. Won’t cost you a dime.

Although I’ve been lucky enough to be involved in some great projects over the past 10 months…

…I can safely say that the Cutline theme for WordPress is easily the best, most refined, and most robust site that I have ever developed.

It’s also the cheapest.

To sweeten the pot, I even offer free support on the theme at the demo site.

Ubiquity is Key

WordPress themes are cool because they’re free. By nature, free stuff becomes ubiquitous among those who find it useful. The downside of ubiquity, though, is that every little flaw, inconsistency, and hassle with your product gets exposed publicly.

Last time I checked, public exposure of this (or any? heh) kind was mostly embarrassing.

Although it was unveiled earlier this month, Cutline has already had the privilege of being adopted by the WordPress.com hosted blogging platform as a featured theme.

What does this mean for you?

It’s been tested by hundreds and hundreds of people — vocal ones, believe me — and I’ve been able to tweak even the smallest details to make Cutline simple, streamlined, and flexible. Simply put, it’s a great framework for a Web site, and it’s getting better all the time thanks to an ever-growing community of users.

Want to save money, too?

One aspect of Web design that I think is grossly overlooked is the fact that not enough designers use frameworks to build new sites. In fact, you’ve probably been in a position where a lot of your design expense was dedicated to reinventing the wheel, when that expense really should have gone towards making a better wheel.

Instead, you spent too much money on yet another bum wheel. Pure suckage.

Cutline, meanwhile, is built on a semantically-sound platform of CSS and XHTML. As such, it’s easy to manipulate and tweak to your exact specifications.

So, my point here is that the next time you think about getting a new design, I would invite you to look at starting with a great framework. Give your designer a time-tested, bulletproof foundation to begin with, and you’ll end up with a better, more flexible product when all is said and done.

In my opinion, there are just a few great WordPress theme frameworks out there, and for what it’s worth, I think Cutline is among them.

Check it out!

Doug Karr September 28, 2006

Cutline is a great theme, Chris. I’ve been able to make several modifications and haven’t been confused by the structure of the theme at all. Both the pages and the css is laid out beautifully. I’ve really torn it inside out, too! Here’s the final product: http://www.ichooseindy.com

a girl named Rock. September 29, 2006

Great theme! I had been using Press Row and modified the look extensively, but ran into a 1 issue that I could not resolve, so I decided to give Cutline a try. I’ll post the final results late. Again, beautiful, clean theme!

John Evans (Syntagma) September 29, 2006

It’s my kinda theme, Chris. Lots of white space and an ucluttered feel to it.

I tried it out on a couple of sites, stuck a title graphic right at the top and eliminated the lower banner space, but nothing else worked after that. I’m not that good a coder to recover from a single post page where the words are displyed in a long column one at a time :-)

Pradeep September 29, 2006

Reply to Chris Pearson’s Cutline article….

I was looking for a really old journal look for my wordpress.com blog. I have put forward the request to WordPress.com Support team (Podz) and its on the waiting list. So, for me Cutline is until I get that theme or if I get a similar but better one. By the way, I liked it and if my request doesn’t come thru, I’m planning to stick to it…

If you have time, why don’t you build a theme like that and check it out how it look. Here’s a little description of it:

Take a very old book which used to come out in the early 60s and take a look at the colour of the page, that would be the colour of the page. Edges have to look as if they have been torn from one of those old books.Something along the lines of post-it notes as the sidebar. That’s all the main things. The rest have to look like they have been arranged on a table top of a mahogony table…

It’s a bit ancient, I know but I think after exhausting all the permutations and combinations of web design, designers will go to older designs on newspapers and publications and reproduce parts of them in their blog design after combining them with modern concepts…fusion..you can call it.

I found your blog recently by clicking on the link at WordPress.com, next to your theme. I like to read the blogs of the themes I like…it tells you more about the person behind the design. I am also learning to become a mechanical engineer. I am from India, and it’s a trend here that mechanical engineers end up in software, is that a trend there…??

Huge comment, sorry…thanks for Cutline.
{Pradeep}

Pradeep September 29, 2006

Sorry, the first para that came out because I typed it on Notepad…Internet conn. though cheap here is time bound.

Beppone September 29, 2006

Thank’s.. only thanks.. from Italy :)

rulepark September 29, 2006

Are u up for hired?I would like to hire you for FREE.

Cem Basman September 29, 2006

I really like Cutline. It’s clear cut and robust. It’s urban and reminds me of a frontpage of a classic newspaper. But without all the dust. The centered headline and big typeface is modern. I really like it.

I would love to customize it (very) slightly. But I need a helping hand for hosted WP.com and CSS. Maybe someone reads this? Contact me. You’ll find my email in the about page.

jonathan September 29, 2006

I like Cutline alot! Very clean with open white space, obviously done by a professional. Good work Chris!

a girl named Rock. September 30, 2006

Spent the day applying my mods to Cutline. Thanks for a great framework! Check it out at http://www.vergeculture.com

Chris P. September 30, 2006

Hey Rock,

Love what you’ve done there. Seriously. It’s so interesting to see someone with a heavy print background come in and do something unique with the theme.

I’ve done a modification, too, but yours is so different from mine it’s crazy.

I wish everybody would do a mod — I’d blow the entire day checking em out!

Lawton September 30, 2006

Chris, I posted about you and some other of your “friends” over at Marketing Melody aka Songsblog.com

Thanks for the awesome theme and blog .I’m getting som weird issues wiht ad deluxe freezing the post page. so I’m re installing

Lawton

Russell James September 30, 2006

Rock, where did you learn to make mods like that? I wanna do my own!

Gary October 2, 2006

we’re using cutline on 2 blogs now, http://www.blairvalleymedia.com and http://www.thegarageblog.com
I love how versatile the look can be with just a few colour changes. great job.

Cem Basman October 3, 2006

You played around with the WP.com hosted Cutline version yesterday, too. Pls don’t do that Chris. First, a lot of people are alredy using the theme. And and least you irritated me. Second, somehow you changed the size of the typeface in the blogroll. Have a look in my “The Industry”-roll. And third, two “Comments”-tags for each post? One on top of a post and one on the bottom?? – I liked your first release better … ;) Keep your good work going!

Chris October 3, 2006

Cem,

Although I would love to mess with the hosted version of WordPress, I don’t actually have that luxury.

Based on the changes, it looks to me like the WordPress.com team played with it a little bit to accommodate my most recent updates.

Cem Basman October 3, 2006

Oops, excuse me, Chris. I was just a little bit too fast … I’ll deal with the folks at WP ;)

Britgirl October 4, 2006

I like Cutline and used it for a while, but I like Press Row even more so I went back to it. I think I’d like Cutline even more if I had the time to change a couple of things, such as the fonts. And it’s definitely my second favourite theme. Overall though, another great theme from a very talented designer. Thanks!

Chris P. October 4, 2006

Thanks, Britgirl! Usually second place would upset me, but if I’m second to myself…Well, I can live with that!

raj October 11, 2006

Chris, I haven’t been able to stop by much here lately due to loads of client work, but I stopped by because I just recommended to a young designer to study your work. I’m really loving your site’s new design. Gorgeous, very magazine-like.

Chris P. October 11, 2006

Raj, thanks very much! I was actually quite focused on bringing some of the print space into the blogosphere with this new design, so to get that kind of feedback from you (unprovoked, no less) makes me smile.

For pure, unabashed print design, check out my themes page. Imagine that the top portion is the left page of an open spread, and the bottom portion is the right page…

Andrew October 13, 2006

Definitely a great looking theme… pity it’s fixed width… *hint hint*.

Chris P. October 14, 2006

Andrew: Countless readability studies have shown that people respond best to blocks of text that contain 58-72 characters per line.

Despite the large text size and fixed column width on Cutline, I am already pushing the boundaries of acceptable readability. I chose to make the content column 500 pixels wide because this allows it to accommodate larger images in addition to the stylish text, which is where it derives its character.

So, there’s no pity necessary. I made a very educated, very appropriate design decision when I chose a fixed width for the theme. There’s no doubt that it was the right decision.

raj October 14, 2006

Absolutely agree with you, Chris. I used to study speedreading techniques, as well “how people learn” type of papers for when I was a teaching assistant. If you try to read anything wider than the width between your eyes, you get slower and less interested. 500 pixels for the main content area is all. And each time you get wider, you need more leading (vertical space) per line. That all takes up a lot of screen estate.

I really haven’t understood why younger bloggers/ readers seem to think they’re getting more value from a website that is fluid width. Anyone care to enlighten this aging blogger?

Dan October 20, 2006

Great design; I especially like the Copyblogger site look. It’s cool, sharp, and very easy to read.

Is there any chance of a Typepad port in the near future, i.e. for their advanced templates?

I really like the Typepad service, but their themes leave a lot to be desired.

I’m sure many others on Typepad feel the same way; this could be an opportunity for you to reach a whole new market… :-)

Dan

Zan October 21, 2006

I sat back recently and looked at my duct tape and rusty nails website and thought “Shouldn’t we just port this whole thing over to a WordPress chassis?” The CSS is all over the place, the hand coding is inconsistent and unwieldy, etc.

And then I stumbled onto your article where you mentioned you did exactly that: remade CopyBlogger on WordPress.

Hmm, hmmm…

Anyone think it would be a good idea for my site?

Chris P. October 21, 2006

Zan,

It’s a great idea for a multitude of reasons, but I’ll list the two most important ones here:

1. A site with an excellent, thoughtful architecture performs remarkably better in search engines than a site with a poor, haphazard one.
  2. Futureproofing is an aspect of design and development that is not given its due in many circles. I, however, am a firm believer in the idea of developing a site for tomorrow’s standards. Simply put, if you plan for success, you only increase the chances of experiencing good things down the road.

Zan October 22, 2006

Yeah, Chris, that makes sense.

One other thing makes me hesitate: I understand I can grab the WordPress files and host it on my own server – rather than on WordPress servers. All well and good.

However, can I then have my website URL still be http://www.mywebsite.com rather than http://www.mywebsite.com/wordpress ?

And will a wholesale change in all my files trounce my SERPs in Google?

I’m pretty clueless about all this, actually, now that I think about it.

Appreciate any pointers on this…

Chris P. October 22, 2006

Zan, look at my site’s URL…WordPress runs out of any root directory that you choose. Personally, I never install it in a subdirectory such as /wordpress, because I always want it to look like a normal Web site — not like a special piece of software.

And as far as your URLs go, you are actually using JavaScript to switch between articles on your “articles” page. As a result, Google isn’t even indexing two of those articles, so your current SEO structure pretty much stinks, to put it bluntly.

A change to WordPress and a great backbone would do wonders for your SEO, because in my opinion, the only direction to go is up!

Zan October 22, 2006

Excellent! This is the wakeup that I needed, Chris. I shall now go forth and prosper.

I will eventually figure out how to port my current look and feel over to WordPress – in my slow painstaking way.

Unless, of course, anyone wants a little project on the side!

raj October 22, 2006

Zan, I agree with Chris. I made that mistake on a few sites. As for porting, here’s something specific to consider, that may help you.

On one my blogs, I started on blogspot. Then I setup my own domain with a similar name and also used blogspot (new version of the blog). The home page URL ended with an index.html, which platforms like Typepad also do.

Since Wordpress uses dynamic pages, not static like Blogger and Typepad, your URLs will not have .html. So, if you are already using Typepad (which I believe you said you were), you can set up a new WP blog using, say, http://www.mydomain.com/ without trouncing on http://www.mydomain.com/index.html.

If you would rather port existing posts into Wordpress, use WP2.0+, as it has a post-import feature that is as easy as pie. However, consider that wholesale porting leaves your existing pages up. Google and other search engines consider this to be duplicate content, and one set of pages may not rank in the engines as a result.

So an alternative is to import to your new WP blog, then go and manually edit old posts. Replace each with a summary and a link to the full version. Except that this could ruin any existing SERPs ranking you have for them, thus possibly reducing your pageviews and thus potential revenue.

So you can see that many people prefer not move a blog. But if you do, hopefully the above points will help you.

Chris P. October 23, 2006

Raj and Zan,

I prefer to simply change your WordPress permalink structure to mirror that of Typepad, the platform from which you’ll be porting.

I recently moved this blog from MovableType to WordPress, and I had to append my URLs with .php in order to accommodate the old structure.

In addition, I had to include the year and month folders in my permalinks because that was the MovableType default setup.

The bottom line is that WordPress gives you the ability to exercise this kind of control over your pages so that you won’t have to lose PageRank and/or SERPs in the process.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, even though WordPress compiles pages in PHP, you can still append the output with .html. It’s still PHP, but the output is “masked” to accommodate the necessary URL.

Jennifer October 23, 2006

Hey Zan,

Actually, we’d love to help you with this project. When we’re not handing out dating advice, we do a lot of Internet Marketing Consulting and Web Site Development Projects.  We were both IT folks in the past, and just can’t seem to give it up completely :-).

We’re actually using Typepad – hence Dan’s comment to Chris above for a port of his really cool template. Chris, hint, hint, hint. :-)

I definitely agree with Chris and Raj about choosing the right platform and structure to begin with .

Send me an email to partners@Dan-and-Jennifer.com if you’d like to chat further and bounce some ideas back and forth.

Have a great day!
Jennifer

__________________________________________
Ask Dan and Jennifer
Authors, Coaches, and Online Dating Insiders

Masti October 24, 2006

Hey! Why would you work for free with all your experience and skills? I don’t get it, what’s in it for you?

Andrey October 28, 2006

SeoBook site can easely win bigest logo on internet award. :)

Pushkar October 30, 2006

Would like to take you up on your offer for web design :). I am working on a decent size project, with good support from both bloggers and the academia, catering to the online publishing community and am looking for a great site design.

Would be great if we can atleast start a conversation and see where it takes us.
Thanks
Pushkar

Chris P. October 30, 2006

Pushkar,

I sincerely appreciate your interest in having me design your site, but I am no longer accepting clients for design.

Thanks, though :)

Pushkar October 30, 2006

Thanks for the quick reply. Small clarification, the design is / was for the project, not my personal site.

Again, great designs so far. I particularly like blogherald. Very nice. Hope to get a chance to work with you in the future.

raj October 30, 2006

@Pushkar: I think you missed what Chris was actually saying. He isn’t going to work for someone for free. Rather, he has put a great deal of energy into creating the Cutline Wordpress theme, and is giving that away for free. And because he will continually update it, you’ll get free upgrades simply by downloading a new version and installing it. In essence, you are getting him for free. Still a bargain, if you ask me :)

raj October 30, 2006

Apologies to both of you. I shouldn’t be answering for Chris.

Britgirl November 4, 2006

Chris, I was wondering if either Press Row or Cutline are widgetized for wordpress.org? Not all themes are and I didn’t see these two in the list… I’m setting up a hosted blog.

Chris P. November 5, 2006

Britgirl,

I have submitted Cutline to the directory you’re talking about, but I guess they are either slow or don’t care.

Either way, Cutline is widgetized, and you can get all the info you ever wanted on the theme at the demo site.

Jeff Slyn November 7, 2006

Seth Lopez referred me to you. We’re Louisville’s longest running PC dealer & service center, having been in business since Oct. 1985. Occasionally a client will come along and ask for a website. Read here where you aren’t taking new clients but would like to get “on the list” for the day you do. Thanks so much!

Scott November 16, 2006

Chris, what are your thoughts on using Cutline for a non-blog…say, for a church website? I’ve been experiementing with Textpattern and it’s got a lot of great features, but the learning curve for a non-designer/non-programmer is HUGE. Also, I really *know* WordPress much better, since I use it for three different blogs. I’m wondering if with the advent of things like sidebar Widgets that WordPress could become more than just blogware? Your thoughts?

Chris P. November 16, 2006

I guess I haven’t come right out and said it here before, but I think WordPress is the perfect backbone for any site.

Although it’s typically associated with blogging, the WordPress CMS platform is really just a robust site-management tool that is as flexible as you are imaginative.

Oh, and if you’re already much more comfortable with using WordPress, then this one is a no-brainer.

Regarding widgets, they’re highly overrated. What’s not overrated, though, is the power of WordPress in the hands of someone who really knows how to get the results he or she wants.

Mel December 11, 2006

Hi there, are you still doing the “hire for free” thing? If so, would like to speak to you about doing my blog template. Email me.

Chris P. December 11, 2006

Mel,

Are the lights on there? Did you read the post?

Paul Chaney December 14, 2006

Chris, I decided on Cutline for my new blog, strategicblogging.com, even though Natalie Jost had developed a custom blog template for me (not specifically for this blog, but I adapted it for use). I love the thing…it’s unpretentious and basic, kind of like a college dorm room, only better. Heh. It suits my personality to a tee! Thanks for a great theme.

Virginia December 22, 2006

I so want to use this theme. My host does not have cpanel so I have to do a custom install. I have successfully installed Wordpress but I could not find any instructions on how to get cutline as one of the themes I can use. I have downloaded it onto my computer and uploaded it to my host via FTP but it doesn’t appear as a choice in the themes tab.

Also, the links on this page to the demo site do not work. However, if they are going to the tubetorial site, I could not find specific information on that site to install cutline on a host without cpanel.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris P. December 22, 2006

Virginia,

The Cutline demo site is down right now because of a server problem. We’re working on that feverishly at the moment, as this is the longest sustained period of downtime we’ve ever experienced.

Aside from that, as long as you upload the main Cutline folder (the one that only includes images as a sub-folder) to your wp-content/themes/ directory, the theme will appear under the Presentation tab in the WordPress Administration Panel.

alan December 23, 2006

Scott – we’re actually in process of building a web app that might be relevant to to you, as it sits in that happy space between a blog and a site – it was born out of the frustration of Textpattern and co not being powerful enough to build a proper site with, but still keeping within the efficiency apps like Wordpress allow for when it comes to publishing a journal. All the goodness of posts combined with all the goodness of pages. I’ve been visiting this site quite often as we’re porting the Cutline (and maybe a couple more ;) to Dynamo (that’s the name of the app), and, to be honest, I really like the crowd around here. Oh yeah, the articles are great as well… ;)

Scott December 23, 2006

@Alan: Thanks! I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for Dynamo (signed up for the notifications).

@Chris: I’ve seen some great Cutline mods lately…nice to see it ported, too.

Chris P. December 23, 2006

Scott,

No doubt—I’ve seen quite a few winners over the last couple of months. If you don’t mind, could you email me some of those or else leave a few of them in the comments here?

I’m planning year-end “best Cutline mods” post, and any input from elsewhere is appreciated, mostly because I know I don’t get to see everything!

John Piercy December 24, 2006

Hey Chris ,,, I just downloaded and installed Cutline

So far so good ,,, Im new to Wordpress , so I have lots of questions ,,

Ben Gray at Openswitch.org just helped me out with some Nav links ,,, I appreciate it

Your tutorials have been a great help as well ,,,

Thanks for all your work with cutline ,,,

Happy Holidays

John Piercy

Leif-Harald Nesheim January 9, 2007

Im new too. Will check this out for sure.

BooTCaT January 14, 2007

Hi sir ,
My name’s BooTCaT ( nick ) .

Acutally , i am trying to find out the best wordpress theme , for my website .

SO dropped in here , when i saw cutline ( promoted by tubetorial ) .

Actually , what do u mean by framework is what i want to know from u .

“Framework ” , as i have heard , but can u explain me with an example , so that i can better learn and best tweak your theme , to fit my purpose ???

Lei January 15, 2007

hi, Chris, I’ve just installed the theme, it’s brilliant! thank you!

I have one question here, I hope you can help. The domain of my blog is http://www.leiwu.net/blog , as you can see it’s an folder under my domain leiwu.net. The thing is that I want to add the parent domain as a ‘home’ link on the top navigational bar along with front page, about, achives. I know how to add it in the header.php file, and it works fine for the Front Page, but the link becomes dead when I go to the subsections of the blog.

Many thanks

Lei

Melvin Rivera January 27, 2007

Does CUTLINE is compatible with WP 2.1?

Chris P. January 28, 2007

Melvin,

Cutline is compatible with WordPress 2.1, but right now, the blogroll feature (if you use it) will not work perfectly.

I hope to have the updated release out this week.

Herb Firestone February 1, 2007

I came up with a plan to install Cutline on a second URL simply by downloading all the files from the first blog, uploading them all (as is) to the second URL, creating a new database in the cpanel, modifying and uploading the new config file and doing the regular Wordpress install. Unfortunately everything went pretty well until the last step. Not sure if this is the right spot to ask but I’ll give it a try anyway. If it’s not, I apologize but here goes: I followed the net installation instructions and went to
and this is the message that came back:

Already Installed

You appear to have already installed WordPress. To reinstall please clear your old database tables first.

So what I need to know now apparently is where do I find my old database tables file and what do I need to do to them after I download it to clear the contents of my old database, which, of course,came from the original Cutline blog.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chris P. February 2, 2007

Herb,

The problem here lies with the database—wp-config.php interaction. Although you state that you’ve created a new database and made the necessary changes within the wp-config.php file, you’re going to need to re-check everything, because this is most certainly the root of the problem.

My first question is this: when you created your new database, did you simply copy the old one, or did you create a new one from scratch within cPanel?

If you created a new one, you can skip the rest of this paragraph. If you copied the old database, however, you’ll need to delete the copied version and create a new one from scratch.

Now, regarding your wp-config.php file… Let’s say, for instance, that your old database is named db1, and your new one is named db2.

In the new wp-config.php file, your database name should say db2 and not db1, because your second WordPress installation cannot run off of the first.

Essentially, if you create your databases properly and also make the proper modifications to your wp-config.php file, you should never have to worry about database tables, deletions, or anything of that nature.

Herb Firestone February 2, 2007

Thank you Chris. This is amazing.

The good news is that the earlier existing Cutline blog does come up when you go to the second URL http://www.katyspring.com/blog/ but when you go to http://www.katyspring.com/blog/wp-admin you get the instruction to clear your old database.

I did create a new database in the cpanel of the new URL prior to modifying and uploadingthe wp-config file.

New Database name: katyspringblog

User name: katyb

Password: Lets just say I gave it one in the cpanel

Add user to database
I selected User: katy_katyb from dropdown
Database Name: katy_katyspringblog

and I selected All

Next I downloaded the wp-config.sample.php file

Renamed wp-config-sample.php file to wp-config.php

Maybe what I did wrong was leave all the instructional words in the config file as below?

rama polefka February 7, 2007

hi chris –

whats the status with an updated cutline? is the current version ok with wp 2.1? my meager attempt at a blog using your theme: http://www.trihomewiz.com/blog

where can we find out more about your consulting/development work?

Chris P. February 7, 2007

Rama — Cutline has been updated to WordPress 2.1 standards. You can find out everything you ever wanted to know about the theme at my live demo/support site.

Philip Liu February 10, 2007

Chris–Love your site, love your work. Would love to hire you to redesign my site. Frankly, I can’t think of anyone else I’d want to build off of your awesome Cutline theme.

But, I guess you are all tied up–I was waiting for you to say your schedule to clear… Any chance I can book you sometime down the line?

If there is a price you at which you are willing to design the site, please let me know.

rama polefka February 25, 2007

*************
drama
*************
omg i need a top notch wordpress/website/seo expert STAT!

so you first say how awesome you are (which i believe!), and then you say Bloops! so sorry. too busy :)

must be nice.

how about a list or a post of great design firms – folks that you would recommend? heck, how about a referral?

DanielthePoet March 3, 2007

I love the theme! My only problem with it is that the Links don’t show up in the sidebar where they should when I view the site with Firefox. Everything’s fine with IE.

I don’t see how I could have made any coding errors, since I haven’t really done much of anything to it. Your thoughts/solutions would help a lot. I had a developer look at it briefly and it’s the fact that the links are dynamically pulled from WordPress that causes some problem.

Please help. It’s the best theme I’ve come across so far.

Hubert March 14, 2007

I actually love your actual design, any way to see it publicly released soon ?
Best,
H.

Hardian March 18, 2007

i’d like to thx to u before,
i think cutline is one of the best design wordpress theme, it provide simplicity and the functionality that i need, i’ve been using it since my website begins(last march)..
and damn! u’ve been an inspiration to me too, just like pavlina did :D
oh yeah btw, i’m not a web designer but a web developer, so if u could, would u provide a “theme” for your cutline :D
i want to spice up my web, but couldn’t design good enough (yes i add custom css too)

thx again

Mary March 22, 2007

Hi Chris. Thanks for the customizable header theme on Wordpress. I’m using a Mac and am having trouble uploading my own file to use. Is it Mac friendly? The “choose a file” button isn’t clickable for me. Thanks!
Mary

Chris P. March 23, 2007

Mary — You’re talking about the hosted version of the theme, which is located at WordPress.com. I have no control over the way the theme operates under those conditions, so I cannot provide you with support on that issue directly.

However, WordPress.com has a crack staff of experts who are trained to deal with this sort of thing, so I would advise you to contact someone over there.

Thanks for using the theme!

Joachim April 14, 2007

Chris, please put me on your waiting list for a Cutline customization project. Kicking off a new blog using the theme and would like some tweaks. If you have a few minutes to spare, why is the sidebar loading on the left when I want it on the right and the include comes after the content in the Main Index file?

Babar Ali April 26, 2007

Hi, I love what you have done with the Cutline Wordpress theme. I’m trying to set up a system on my own blog that would allow for multiple authors to post, but I can’t figure out how to have the author name come up. A picture of them by their name would be good too if you know how.

I’d really appreciate it if you could help.

-B

Newbie January 26, 2008

Yes I am a newbie. But I have to say I am having a blast with learning all this cool blog and web stuff.

So here is a very, very basic question.
WHAT DO I DO WITH MY CUTLINE DOWNLOADS?

I went to the Cutline website and they have downloads that allow me to modify their header and they they have a download for WP2.3. Now that they are on my hard drive, now what am I suppose to do? These get loaded into the theme templates or somewhere else.

Please help the new (really old) kid on the block. I taught enough kids about technology so I hope to get some return help.

Cheers to you all.
Newbie

jennifer February 4, 2008

Are you still or again offering for free? I’m on the last hair before I pull THAT out too!

Michael Poker March 2, 2008

Cool theme but where can i download?