Where the Lame Kids Went

Remember those kids from grade school who would rat out another kid for simple, harmless transgressions? Remember the kiss-asses who casually chatted with teachers like they gave a shit and hovered around the desk like brownie-point-seeking vultures? Or what about the kid who always had retarded commentary on whatever the subject was in class? You know him? Oh, and don’t even get me started on college – that was even worse! I distinctly remember these goofs who would fight for a seat in the front row and ask all sorts of ridiculous questions during each and every lecture. Sometimes I used to think that even the professors were pissed at these geniuses.

Anyway, you remember these people? I found them. All of them. And now I know what happens to these people after college. Hell, I think I found out where a lot of them hang out while they’re still in college. They’re on the internet. More specifically, these idiots seem to be flocking towards reddit and other social promotion sites of that ilk.

A couple of months ago, I posted about how I was actively using reddit to help promote articles and gain some readers for this site. Now, however, the gig’s off. Totally off. Reddit has officially become a community of glassy-eyed IDIOTS. Allow me to explain.

If you’ve followed reddit for a few months, then you know that if Paul Graham takes a shit, everybody on reddit comes over to take a whiff. According to statistics, these jackoffs all think it smells good, too. Look, I have no problem with Paul Graham or his essays. In fact, I read them, and I admire his keen insight and his very cogent presentation of thoughts. Most of his site contains really good reads which I’d suggest checking out whenever you’ve got some time to kill.

I didn’t write this post to hype Mr. Graham, though. In fact, I wrote it to prove a point that reddit’s not-so-diverse community of users has adopted the collective attitude of a geekster social club. As a whole, the redditites have their favorite sites, and they’ve shown a predilection towards certain types of posts. Thanks to the voting algorithms in use on the site, these retards redditites, who all seem to appreciate the exact same things (more on that in a bit), are able to effectively constrain the high-traffic pages of the site to the content with which they’re most comfortable.

In theory, the above statement defines a pretty solid model for social tagging/bookmarking/whatever the hell you want to call it. In practice, however, it has turned into an insanely geeky game of follow-the-leader. If reddit’s hard core base of idiots, who all appreciate the same nerdery, get ahold of a new article that they like, it’s a lock to appear on the front page. Once it gets there, the rest of these retarded sheep who use the site flock to the promotion arrow like ants at a picnic.

These morons, who happen to be the same lame kids you knew in grade school, are using the social aspects of “Web 2.0” to gain a collective conscience, thus devaluing their own. In my opinion, utilizing the web’s advancements in this way allows them all to be dumber and lazier on a daily basis. They have to think less; they have to browse less to find out what the “cool kids” are doing; and hell, they don’t even have to have an opinion! If they see that 303 other geeks thought something was cool, they’re going to hop right on the bandwagon too.

Where’d I come up with all this crackhead mess? I conducted a couple of experiments, of course. Over the last month, I’ve submitted articles to both digg and reddit on three different occasions. The latest submission was my most recent post, which described how to make your XP desktop resemble that of a Mac OSX. On reddit, the post got flamed out, receiving three negative votes in about half an hour. I’m not sitting here claiming that it was the greatest post ever, but only a geek-snob freak would demote it. Oh, wait, maybe someone with their head up their ass about Macs would do it too.

Since I already know that last sentence pisses you off, I have some sage advice for ya. First, eat me, because you’re totally missing the point. Second, I LIKE Macs. I love the seamless feel of OSX, and I appreciate all that Apple does, especially as far as the design and usability of their products are concerned. Regardless, this doesn’t mean that PCs are pieces of shit, and it doesn’t mean that PC users can’t change their old, hideous XP desktops into something more flavorful. In this case, the Flyakite OSX theme modification does just the trick. To me, it’s irrelevant that it’s Macintosh – I just want it to be different than that damned XP drollery.

So anyway, I submitted that same article to digg.com also, where it was received MUCH more favorably. Granted, it wasn’t a runaway smash hit, but then again, that was obvious from the onset. I just hoped that another poor soul like myself would find it useful for ditching project Methuselah XP’s default theme (I feel like it’s been here for a hundred years). Based on the response the article received within digg, I accomplished just that.

This begs the question, then, why were the responses on reddit and digg so drastically different, especially if the two systems are basically designed to do the same thing (champion good content versus crap)?

Fortunately, I’ve already answered this one for ya. All the lamers, retards, and mindless sheep who you knew in grade school (and wanted to punch) have found a nice safe haven over at reddit. The problems at reddit are the clear result of improper, irresponsible execution of the social promotion concept. The converse of this situation is what’s going on over at digg, though, and that’s why I’m going to give that site major props (and some viewership) from now on. My impression is that the digg community is, by and large, responsible, intelligent, open-minded, and savvy.

And like I said earlier, reddit is full of idiots having their collective bitch fest. It’s the nerd club; the lamest frat on campus. You wanted Animal House, but instead, you got Star Wars meets black t-shirts meets black jeans meets LAN parties. Yeah, you heard me. Reddit sucks.

Dennis January 30, 2006

I agree with you on this Chris. Reddit is for the birds but I dont know if Digg is too far behind. I wrote a piece on this just the other day on my site. In my opinion Digg is headed in the same direction. I have discovered Newsvine and feel that their audience is a bit more refined. Have you checked out Newsvine?

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Actually, Dennis, I was thinking about Newsvine when I wrote the article. For the most part, I completely agree with you. From what I’ve read on Newsvine, the audience appears to be both responsible and sophisticated. If nothing else, I think that they at least grasp the idea of utilizing the service for the common good instead of flaming out a la redditites and diggers.

Keep in mind, though, that Newsvine is still in stages of infancy. I thought reddit was great when it was new, too. Personally, I think that some community “rules” need to be implemented in order to keep users honest and fair. I have no idea what these constraints need to be, but judging from various responses on reddit and digg, there’s clearly a need for something.

martin January 31, 2006

thats a good article about Reddit. I too have submitted what I thought to be good / interesting posts only to watch with bemusement as the geeks marked them downwards.
I’ve just joined Newsvine too and it definetly seems a lot more ‘mature’ than
Reddit. As Newsvine is news-orientated and
not tech-orientated then so far it seems to be a geek-free zone.

You should also check out Common Times at http://www.commontimes.org

Jeff January 31, 2006

I find at Reddit it is very much the very geeky tech stuff that gets promoted. I also don’t like how once something gets demoted once it’s flamed out and most likely won’t receive any hits. But I’ll give it more time, problem it it’s only attracted the hardcore web 2.0 people. Alot of the internet has yet to discover sites like this whereas digg has a larger base of diverse users.

Anna January 31, 2006

For the most part Chris, I would agree with you, although I still enjoy using reddit. It has a lot of great features that some of the other sites lack, so the whole “social democratic” model has been improved in theory. But I have noticed that the central group of users has created a monopoly over the type of content that makes it onto the front page.

I hate always having to read the exact same type of material every single day, although I’ve noticed that the filtering mechanism they use is starting to work in my favor. What they really need to do is implement tagging so that things can get seperated into categories. Unless things change, though, I’m jumping ship with the rest of you.

kyle January 31, 2006

Perhaps your post on “how to make your XP desktop resemble that of a Mac OSX” was modded down on reddit because it was neither new nor interesting, but instead some boring piece of trite that only the lame hax0rs on digg would find worthwhile.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Thanks for proving my point, Kyle!

datapoint January 31, 2006

I remember modding that article down. The reason *I* modded it down was because it had very little content. It seemed to me to be on obvious, thrown-together attempt at getting page hits. I guess I was kind right.

joe January 31, 2006

Severe case of sour grapes. If you don’t like what gets promoted at reddit, don’t hang out there. Pretty simple.

Oh, wait, you’re just trying to “promote your site.” You’re not interested in being part of the community, just in driving traffic. Reddit as advertising medium. Sounds to me like the filtering mechanism works pretty well.

Captain America January 31, 2006

I’m suprised no one has pointed this out for what it is: The Argument You Can’t Lose”.

James998 January 28, 2013

Just the type of dumbass attitude you get from the man-children. “If you don’t like it, don’t go there” But, seriously, like imgur it is a site of myopic over-grown children who are so moronic that they are easily amused by the same posts over and over again.

joe January 31, 2006

What’s “The Argument You Can’t Lose?”

Anonymous January 31, 2006

I think you’re funny, yo!

Kenneth January 31, 2006

I agree with you about reddit. I posted a article from realtechnews and watched it fall like a rock. And people are wrong don’t think digg or reddit are for site advertising. I see plenty of people promoting themselves and their work.

andre January 31, 2006

Let me get this straight. If a site likes an article you posted, it’s a good site, whereas if a site does not care for an article you posted, it’s bad, run by dweebs and retards?

And you also wish to be taken seriously?

LOLZ January 31, 2006

ROFLCOPTER. That was teh funnay.

james998 January 28, 2013

Learn how to spell. Seriously, I respect myself and write like an educated person. I always proofread what I type even when it’s on the Web. Have some self-respect and respect for the language.

Ryan January 31, 2006

If you hate nerds/geeks/idiots/lamers/vultures that much, then start your own social club… oh wait, you’ve already cornered organized sports and pop-culture.

Face it, you’re not a nerd. The net wasn’t invented for you, unless you’ve been searching for yet another way to receive advertisements.

Stop wasting your time and do what you’re supposed to be doing: get ready for the Super Bowl. Then maybe chat about how funny the commercials were on MySpace.

mike January 31, 2006

You can classify people like that if you want. The people you don’t like, whom you say don’t like you, is just a continuation of humanity.

But in a way, you seem to be the kid in school who always had to have attention and when he didn’t get it, he bitched and caused trouble in class.

Who cares if people modded your Mac article down. Apple gets enough publicity, and so does windows. Your tutorials are useful to people and someone will find them. If you don’t like Microcosm’s then stop studying them.

Elliot January 31, 2006

You may have a point about Reddit users reflexively modding up PG articles (e.g. How to Do What You Love– a blatant piece of self-helpery that relied on PG’s name for up-mods). However, I think on average, most of the articles on the hot page are interesting. Look at the current top 10, for example. There’s the savant article, which was definitely interesting, the Greenspun retirement article, the development team social effects article, and an interesting picture of a staple. I don’t think any of those fit into the pigeonhole of geeky idiots modding crap up. All of those seem to me to be legitimately interesting. And sure, maybe 90% of the comments are crap, but, by Sturgeon’s law, 90% of everything is crap.

Jim January 31, 2006

I read your XP article. It’s not terrible, but it does ramble on and on without adding much information.

It’s possible that the reddit users just didn’t like it. Similarly, it is just as likely given whatever influences these mobs on digg or kuro5hin (which predates both systems in a way) could have influenced them to not have voted it to the first page either. In your case the digg users at that particular time voted it up. If they had voted it down consistently, the same thing would have happened. You’ll see this on newsvine as well once it gets enough people.

Sometimes the crowds yell back that you suck. It’s up to you whether you believe them or not.

You should read the Wisdom of Crowds and some papers on network effects. Whether you buy the “wisdom” aspect, the mechanics are pretty well documented. Something that is liked is more likely to be liked in the future, and gather steam and momentum. Something that isn’t liked is less likely to be liked in the future, and generally will whither and die.

Don’t take it so hard.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

I must have big feet, cause it looks like I just stomped all over a bunch of toes. Good!

I’m not saying reddit is bad because my poor article got demoted *sniff*. Based on the comments, others have clearly had experiences similar to mine. Back in October and November, reddit was a more pure environment. All I’m saying now is that the “promoted” content has become compartmentalized, and when you look at the content as a whole, you can draw some generalizations about psyche of those involved in the promotion.

And as for the comments about me not being nerdy enough or whatever, tell me – what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? And since when is it a bad thing to not be considered nerdy? Moreover, I know you find solace in the fact that “geek” and “nerd” are almost complimentary terms on the net, but give me a break – reality is still reality, and the rules still apply here.

Anonymous Coward January 31, 2006

If you remove all the gratuitous offenses and lingering high school angst from this post, it turns into a pretty neutral (and obvious) description of how Reddit works. Yeah, some of us like Star Wars and LAN parties. Yeah, some of us actually cared about what the teacher was saying back then. And yeah, we’ve grouped together in some web places and enjoy sharing pieces of information we find interesting. Got a problem with that? Fuck off and go do something else. It’s not like somebody is forcing you to read it.

Alec January 31, 2006

Dude, are you a fucking cry baby bitch or what? You can’t get your half ass pieces promoted so you have to write a rant to get attention. Real original.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Just to clarify – I love some of the top articles on reddit, and generally speaking, I think the articles in the top 10 are really interesting. It’s not as though the collective conscience has bad taste on everything.

Robert January 31, 2006

Out of curiosity, Chris, did you send spez or kn0thing any feedback on what you felt the site needed or your concerns about how it was progressing? If so, did they tell you what they were planning to do about it or features that might address them?

I would love to know what direction they’re planning on taking the site, because it seems like your blog entry is reaching several sympathetic ears. Ironically, it’s currently on the front page of reddit!

AReddit'er January 31, 2006

It’s true – I started reading reddit a few months back and this kind of thing wasn’t a problem. But now if it’s not about Google, Lisp, Python, or the like it doesn’t have a very good chance of ranking very high.
It’s kind of sad really… all we can do is hope the problem solves itself.
… or maybe instead of complaining about the problem – suggest a solution (one that doesn’t involve childhood memories of inadequacy).

Ryan January 31, 2006

Yo Chris, Here’s what it has to do with the “Price of tea in China”:

You’re the one who made it about nerds/geeks/idiots/vulchures, not me. You were just as welcomed as the next person until you brought that to the surface.

You’re right, the rules do apply here. I don’t take solice in being a nerd, I take solice in my sweet job, smart friends, and savings account. That’s why I like reading about Paul Graham.

Frankly, not only was the net not invented for you, I don’t think college was invented for you. At first I was impressed you used the work ‘ilk’, then I thought to myself, “Oh yeah, it’s only three letters”.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

I really thought “drollery” and “predilection” were more impressive, but what do I know?

Oh, wait, I do know how to spell “solace.”

Ryan January 31, 2006

Tell me Chris, is ‘jack-off’ really a noun?

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Let’s do a simple test to find out.

Ryan is a jackoff.

Ryan = subject. Is = verb. Jackoff = predicate.

Welp, sure enough!

Ryan January 31, 2006

… the prosecution rests its case your honor.

kyle January 31, 2006

> I’m not saying reddit is bad because my poor article got demoted *sniff*.

That is certainly what it sounds like you’re saying. I’m sorry some of your submissions don’t do well, but that’s the way it goes.

Because your post did better on digg than it did reddit doesn’t mean digg is better at reddit. It means the audience of digg is into something that the majority of users on reddit are not.

Reddit may have its flaws, but I’m not sure your submission example demonstrates one of them.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Because of the negative rankings on reddit, submissions get blown off into oblivion at breakneck speed if the “not-so-diverse community” doesn’t necessarily care for the content.

I used my submission purely as an example – it makes no difference to me either way how it was received. The bottom line is that it was a faceless tutorial that was meant only to enrich the computing experience for those experiencing the same issues as I was.

I think the fact that submissions such as mine disappear into a black hole on reddit is an inherent problem. With digg, at least these types of submissions are still reasonably viewable – moreso than in reddit, anyway. What’s more, I know that my little submission represents thousands of reasonable ones that disappear each and every day simply because they don’t cover redditites’ favorite topics.

All I’m really saying here is that the nerdy few who troll reddit every day have constrained the content to a point that I think it’s negatively affecting reddit itself.

Dvd Avins January 31, 2006

droll: whimsical or comic

whence

dollery: amusingly odd or whimsically comical

When trying to impress, it helps to have command of one’s vocabulary.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Touche. I pulled from a Simpsons episode where some lady says “storebought drollery.” Now that I think about it, I used the term in the wrong context, so you make a valid point.

Although it pains me not to correct the error, I’ll leave it be for democratic purposes. I’m curious to see if some people who aren’t as thoughtful as yourself will jump on the bandwagon you’ve just created.

Thanks for the heads-up, by the way.

Blue January 31, 2006

I smell hypocrisy or satire. Perhaps satirical hypocrisy. If this essay was satire, good job. I couldn’t get to the end without laughing. “And like I said earlier, reddit is full of idiots having their collective bitch fest. It’s the nerd club; the lamest frat on campus.” Hilarious. Reminds me of a line I recently heard from some comedian. It went something along these lines, “Ever noticed how everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.” Maybe you should take your ball and go home. Really I can’t stop laughing, but I wonder if I should be laughing at the author or with the author.

Mike (a retdditer) January 31, 2006

I think your comments have some merrit but you have to ask yourself “what is the point of reddit?”

Is it to submit links and get them promoted and feel good inside?

Or is it to find links to other site you might be interested in? This is the way I treat it.

If I had seen your article about Macs and Windows, I would’ve modded it down… only because it doesn’t interest me and I’m trying to train the ‘recommendation’ engine to know what I like and what I dont like.

If people want to treat reddit like a popularity contest then they aren’t going to like it.

If they are going to treat it as something that figures out what they might like… well then it might turn out better for them… but since its not ‘done’ yet the jury is still out on that one

Ryan January 31, 2006

It’s funny, the next post on reddit is about Tact Filters.

I can’t really blame you Chris. Your tutorial is something I might have written in a different time or place.

It’s just frustrating when people make fun of you for doing what you love – not once, or once at each phase, but all the time at every phase.

Call me jaded. I am what I am. I don’t respect anyone who disrespects me, or my ilk.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Ryan, I hear ya. I didn’t intend for this to stereotype internet users in general. It’s simply a shot at the reddit community that I felt I should take because it’s my opinion that the diversity of the content has dropped in recent weeks.

On the reddit comments, Paul Graham himself states, “I’ve noticed a number of good articles getting beaten down lately.”

He goes on to say, “Reddit used to be more civilized when it was a smaller group, not less. Reddit’s traffic has been growing rapidly, and I think the root of the problem may be that it’s spreading to less thoughtful users, who can’t be trusted with a down arrow.”

I alluded to this in the second comment, where I stated, “I think that some community ‘rules’ need to be implemented in order to keep users honest and fair.”

I just think it’s a bummer for the masses when social sites such as this are used irresponsibly or in a manner that segregates content.

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Proving their merit, the members of the reddit community who I targeted with this post seized the opportunity to demote ALL of my past posts without actually reading them.

This pretty much sums up the problem that I wrote about, as far as I’m concerned.

rep_movsd January 31, 2006

If you really want to write good stuff and get good feedback not only about your tech stuff, but also about your writing skill, theres only one place
You can write whatever you want personal, humour, tech, fiction, poetry and it’ll be voted upon only by people who have earned the right to do so by posting articles themselves.

Eric January 31, 2006

The larger problem with reddit is that it ties its reccomendations system into its rating system.

*I* like seeing Paul Graham and Joel Spolsky pieces. I like literature from successful programmers in general. I want to see more like this in my reccomended queue. However, I don’t think these are necessarily the best articles.

Thus, I just moderate what I like, and figure that reddit will eventually become a hivemind or it will figure out how to branch into multiple communities.

It’s okay if that’s not the right community for you. Everyone needs to find their niche. Eventually, someone will figure out a way to mesh the two. I find tagging too burdensome myself, and am waiting for a more elegant solution. YMMV.

Ryan January 31, 2006

true true

There was recently an issue on Slashdot where CmdrTaco decided to implement ‘no-follow’ links because of people trying to game the submission system to boost PageRank. I expect we’ll see more growing pains in the post ranking communities.

I read reddit and several other sites like it. I think it was Paul Graham that wrote about the problem of scaling talent with the size of an organization (e.g. a startup).

I personally expect a place like reddit to approach some kind of a bell curve of usefulness because it can’t by definition be by a single dynomite (or conversly, a weak) author.

Even among geeks, there are different tastes in content. Me personally, I like learning about best [programming] practices for my job, and ideas for startups, so I can quit my job :)

joe January 31, 2006

I really don’t get the criticisms about reddit not being broad-minded enough. I mean, it would make sense if reddit were the world’s only website. But given that there are about a hundred million websites in the world, there’s certainly room for specialization. If a bunch of geeks want to have a site about lisp, python, and google, who gives a rip? Go find a site about what *you* like. Why bother trying to change a site that’s working for someone else?

Jim January 31, 2006

“I think my post is directed more towards the marginal articles. On digg, marginal articles are still received responsibly by the community (as long as they’re not spam – those should be flamed out as they usually are). It seems to me that on reddit, however, marginal articles get booted out in a somewhat predictable fashion. It’s this negative predictability that prompted me to write the article in the first place.”

Marginal articles usually get booted because the aren’t that good. As I said above. If there is a flaw in your post or article that makes the initial readers not like it, others will generally follow the trend.

Your test is artificial. If the article was good and someone ELSE found it on the Internet and posted it to reddit as an example as something cool, it would be more likely be an article that rises up the ranks. Instead the whiners on here are posting generally bad articles that they themeselves have created and then wonder why no one else thinks they’re so great.

Paul Graham, et al aren’t the ones posting articles… That’s the difference. If you don’t understand the difference, then your so-so articles that you personally post to digg/reddit/newsvine are doomed to the same fate.

Instead of cursing the darkness, light a frickin’ candle and write better stuff in the hope that someone else thinks “hey, that’s cool… I’ll post it to reddit.” Because then, the network effect is already in play. If one person (other than the creator) thinks it is cool then there are automatically two people that think it is cool (the person who wrote the article and the person who found it). From there, momentum grows. Then the system works. Otherwise, it fails and you get voted into oblivion, just as it should be.

Brett Morgan January 31, 2006

You must really be hurting for readers…

toot boots January 31, 2006

eat a dick

Chris P. January 31, 2006

Saved the best for last I see…

Ubuntu January 31, 2006

I visit Reddit to see “those” kind of articles. I visit other places for other kinds of articles. On reddit I promote “those” kind of articles. Other places I promote different kinds.Places aquire a certain flavor.Understanding it and using it – whats wrong with that.

People are not simple.And no one place can support all your needs.You need porn, then you need to visit that other site to send in gift flowers and book money to poor girls in africa.Conflict? Yes. But thats how people are.

M. Rosetree February 1, 2006

I remember modding down your article.

It wasn’t that it was a bad article; it was mainly because I’d seen similar articles before, and I just didn’t want to read another.

I guess the problem is that, in order to train the filter to recognize stuff you don’t want to see, you need to mod stuff down.

Jesse February 2, 2006

Why not just split the modding into two types: quality, and interest? That way, users wouldn’t have to “mod down” good articles that simply don’t interest them, but rather could tag them as uninteresting–to them–without labeling them “bad”.

That way you could train your personal filter (or whatever) to recognize your personal likes and dislikes without “beating down” good articles that don’t happen to interest you.

Chris P. February 2, 2006

Jesse, you’re a genius. Seriously, you should submit that to spez or kn0thing ASAP. I know they constantly take feedback from the community, and I see this as a necessary improvement to secure reddit’s future.

ezzerick April 30, 2006

oh no, they didn’t like your article. boo-hoo. cry me a river.

Dan May 23, 2006

When I saw that article on the front page of digg, I wondered if digg had finally become too loaded with 14 year olds to have any value. I distinctly remember your article for that reason. This is not meant as a flame, I’m just being honest.
-I’ve never heard of reddit.com until this post.
-Go to Aqua-soft.org and visit the forums if you are really interested in customizing your desktop well.

Dawn June 7, 2006

Hi, I wanted to tell you that I think you are an awesome designer! I found your website through SEOBook. I really liked the design so I found who made it.

One day I want to make a WordPress design and I am always looking for inspiration – and I found it.

As for this post, I was kind of disgusted reading some of the comments. It’s kind of cool that you leave them up. On my blog I delete anything that I don’t like lol.

I also like your writing style. The links on the right hand side kept me busy for awhile, I must have read for close to an hour. Just wanted to stop by and say hi.

Sheila June 23, 2006

Either this is reverse psychology – or you’re just upset that too many people are finding out about reddit. I didn’t know about it until you wrote about it, but of course I was never one to sit in front of the class and ask lots of questions. I do now though. I still haven’t been over to reddit, I’ll take your word for it that there’s too many mindless sheep over there. My son referred me to popurls.com for all the techy, geeky stuff I need to know about.

One really cool thing at the bottom of the page on popurls.com – did you know you can add your own website/story link under ‘your pop’? My son got over 300 hits from that brief link exposure.

In regards to a previous commenter’s comment on 14 year olds – don’t ya know they’re taking over the world? Now, not just later.

p.s. Nice blog. I’m thinking of starting one – I’m just not sure I could keep it up on a regular basis.

See ya,
~ Sheila ~

Richard July 22, 2006

Chris, you’ve managed to draw the ‘l33t ones with this story!

I predict that the owners of sites like reddit won’t do much in favor of the “community”, due to little things called “traffic volume” and “clickthroughs”.

Regarding Pearsonified, awesome job! A recent find for me via CopyBlogger. I’ll be back.

~ Richard

Frostbite July 7, 2012

Look at all the angry retards from reddit here, trying to disprove your article. Good job my man, people get angry when the truth about them is cut free.

William July 27, 2012

I completely agree with your article. It’s hilarious the angry, rude personalities Redditor clones have nowadays. All of the people I can think of who are popular at school (and I don’t mean Hollywood’s version of football star popular), none of them browse Reddit.

Take this kid George. He’s a 4.0 star, treats everyone well, and is hilarious. I showed him Reddit once, and even this guy, who can jerk 300 pounds in the gym, was appalled by the type of comments people posted there.

I can go on with more and more examples and anecdotes, but the truth is, Internet sites like Reddit and Digg have ruined humanity in a sense. And if they’re going to keep acting like immature dweebs you want to sucker punch, well, let them. We all know they don’t have the courage to come up to any of us in real life anyway. Let the Internet be their safe haven.

In the end, it’s their lives we should pity, not ours. ;) Stay cool.

redchasl January 9, 2013

I googled something like “reddit is full of idiots” and arrived at this page. After spending about a month hunting for respectful dialog on reddit, I’ve given up.

It is extreme, it has been flocked to by fairly specific demographics that control the nature and quality of content that is promoted. I am tired of viewing screen caps from games and memes.

Some of the redditor’s responses to your blog post are demonstrative of the issue. Guys talking about their college education, their savings accounts, dissecting spelling and grammar, etc. I’m so over it.

thedildinyerain June 29, 2013

Reddit is merely 4Chan with a slightly lower SAT score.

redditisforetards June 3, 2016

Agree with this article. Everyone bitching at the author is exactly the author’s point. Reddit is filled with a bunch of retarded man-children who have this constant need to validate themselves since they are a bunch of insecure adults who have nothing better to do but start arguments with people just so they can circlejerk around their shitty self-esteem.

The site runs rampant with socially awkward assholes to where you would think that the site was designed for people with Aspberger’s syndrome. Reddit is cancer and is just a site for losers to exist. Good for you for realizing that its a shit hole.